Friday, July 1, 2011

Weekend on the Farm

It's been a long time since I've had a weekend on the farm. My new old home in town tends to keep me away. But I'm finally heading to Walnut Grove this weekend to reconnect with all things rural and celebrate in true country style.

Kicking off my celebration, I'm indulging in a little late-afternoon reading of a new favorite blog, The Art of the Rural, who is publishing a Rural Poetry series. The series includes a favorite of mine, Lorine Niedecker, as well as new names I am overjoyed to discover. I hope you are, too. Happy Independence Day!

I knew a clean man
but he was not for me.
Now I sew green aprons
over covered seats. He

wades the muddy water fishing,
fall in, dries his last pay-check
in the sun, smooths it out
in Leaves Of Grass. He's
the one for me.

~by Lorine Niedecker

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Dear Kate,

Thanks so much for your kind words about The Art of the Rural. We'd be very interested in any suggestions that you or your readers would have for our Poetry Series or our mission in general.

Thanks again, have a great Fourth!

All the best,
Matthew Fluharty, Editor

Donna Cappello said...

My city girl going country - yay!