Wednesday, October 6, 2010

On Peas

My dear friend is having a baby, and to celebrate we threw her a party. For the favors, I bought pea seedlings...the metaphor may be obvious, but there's hardly anything subtle about pregnancy, so why not go all the way? We wrapped each little cup in cellophane, tied with a ribbon, and stuck on tags that said "cute as a bug." And they were.

The night before the party, I panicked. What if the seedlings were wilted the next day? What if they died? I was in a state. My dear, dear friend just could not have dead things at her party. So in the early hours of the next day, I dragged my man along to find more pea seedlings...just in case.

After more than a few wrong turns and moments of further panic, we made it to the party. The peas were fine. My dear, dear, dear friend was fine. The only one who wasn't fine, apparently, was me. See, I have a tendency towards worry. It's mostly unnecessary and often inappropriately overdone, especially when it relates to things such as party favors. The downside is that I spend many nights sleepless and feel foolish the next day. The upside? We now have plenty of seedlings for a kick-ass winter garden. As long as the slugs don't get to them...

2 comments:

Donna Cappello said...

You are SO my daughter!

Katie Cappello said...

I knew you would understand...