Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Workshop: Moons and Roses and Sunsets, Oh My!

Last night, as we walked the dog on the levee, the almost-full moon hung above us. When we turned around to head home, we were faced with one of those spectacular Delta sunsets that seems almost unreal. The cornfield looked like it was glowing, and we felt the need to make silly "chorus of heaven" sounds. If you've never been to the Delta before and want to know what I'm talking about, check out Marty Stanley's work.

The sunset got me thinking about this old post from Karen Weyant's blog because, well, I really wanted to write about it, but I didn't know how to keep it from becoming cheesy. I mean, a poem about a sunset? How much more McKuen can you get? But after rereading Karen's post, I was heartened. She tells the story of a list of "forbidden" things she shared with a poetry class, things like sunsets that should never go into poetry. A contrary student took one of those things--a butterfly--and wrote about it in a fresh, new way.

So here's my challenge, both for myself and for you, my stalwart reader: pick one of these "forbidden" things (or make your own list), and try to write about it in a way that is invigorating, surprising, and not a bit cheesy...
  • sunset
  • sunrise
  • butterfly
  • full moon
  • dove
  • ocean
  • rose
  • rainbow

1 comment:

Donna Cappello said...

I don't see succotash on this list!