Friday, March 26, 2010

Where Y'at, MOMA?

Apparently, MOMA has acquired the @ symbol. Um, ok. So, what does this mean, exactly? That they can display a giant, screen-printed @ on their walls? Yes. That they can expound upon the design genius of said symbol? Most definitely. That they are well on their way to acquiring parentheses? Maybe. That they must now employ a typesetting expert to track down @ forgeries? Probably not.

I'm not sure how I feel about the @ as a piece of art. I mean, I understand that it has historical significance and that it plays an incredibly significant role in our technology-laden lives. But art? I just don't get shivers over the good old @. Maybe that's just the writer in me; @ really isn't found in poetry (or fiction, or memoir, or any type of creative writing, for that matter). Give me an ... or a -- any day, even an & if you're feeling particularly saucy. But imagining @ in a poem is as unsavory as spotting the product placements in your favorite movie.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone know of a poem with @ in it? Or a great story that uses @ without being silly? Let me know. Heck, maybe I'll write one myself. How's th@ for inspiration?

No comments: