Thursday, September 10, 2009

Whether Tis Nobler...

An interesting debate is going on over at Hayden's Ferry Review's blog about, well, blogging. HFR contributors Darren Morris and Sandra Beasley each take a side, the former mostly against and the latter mostly for blogging. While I agree with Darren that most "here's what I did today" type blogs are mostly uninteresting and distracting, I also agree with Sandra that they serve as excellent sifters for our pack-rat poet minds.

I must also admit that, for someone who cannot afford her own url and never took a Dreamweaver class, a blog offers a cheap, easy, and accessible form of internet promotion. In addition, it acts as a new type of writer's community--I keep in touch with old colleagues and discover new friends. And I am firmly in the Sandra camp on the subject of reading a writer's personal life into their work. After all, it's done all the time in literature classes with the likes of Oscar Wilde, Jane Austen, Emily Dickinson, J.D. Salinger. Blogging offers a more active role in the process, is all.

Where do you fall in this blog debate? Does your following of a writer's blog ruin, or enhance your reading of their work? Does it have no effect at all? Do you admire Albert Goldbarth for his shunning of modern technology, or are you an avid reader of e-books, e-journals, e-anything?

For further reading, you can check out Sandra's blog. Darren doesn't blog, but I think he's on Facebook.

2 comments:

mariegauthier said...

I love poet blogs, & I'm endlessly grateful for the internet making them possible. Reading them doesn't taint or color my reading of the poems in general, though perhaps if they reveal someone unlikeable, someone whose poetry I was unfamiliar with prior, I'm probably less likely to seek out his/her poems afterwards.

Katie Cappello said...

Thanks for the comment, Marie. I think your point about using blogs as a way of filtering reading choices is interesting. I find myself doing a similar thing...I often come across a poet's blog which makes me WANT to read their work. I guess it works in many ways.