Monday, September 14, 2009

The Time of My Life

I didn't know what "dirty dancing" was, but I was determined to see the movie. My parents thought I was playing Girl Talk with my childhood friend, Laura S., but we were watching as Baby carried a watermelon, Johnny twisted his hips, and the duo mambo'ed their way to true love. Most of the movie I did not understand...the political and sexual undertones were way over my head...but when Johnny scooped up a joyful Baby at the end, my heart soared. Really.

Patrick Swayze was an irresistible mix of hunky and sweet, with a heaping spoonful of chiseled muscles and a dash of southern charm. He could drive a big rig and battle Chris Farley in a Chippendale's dance-off. He made a generation of women fall in love with a ghost, pulled off a convincing drag queen, and was shocking as a pedophile in Donnie Darko. But most of all, he danced, and he will be remembered just so. Rest in peace, Patrick.

1 comment:

Donna Cappello said...

Poignantly stated, Katie. A fine actor in his own right. His facial expressions in "Ghost" never fail to make me cry - a face full of true love and longing.